View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Are you talking about transfer of addictions? If so, that's fairly common I believe.

The problem is that addicts tend not to have heathy ways of dealing with life on lifes terms for whatever reason. So, they use 'stuff' in excess to make things better. So, someone with food addictions might eat to exceess. Presumably due to surgery that is not a option any more, but if the addictive thinking is still prevailant then chances are that person will act out in different ways.

I know that when I stopped drinking then other behaviours started becoming more problematic for a while. Then, eventually, once I got a sponsor and really started focussing on my step work and applying it to my daily life, things started getting better because I was more able to cope with dissapointments and celebrations and life generally.

People act out with all kinds of stuff - Relationships (becoming obsessive / compulstive romantically); Sex ; Gambling; Shopping; Eating; Ilegal drugs; Prescribed drugs; Thrill seeking (dangerous or illegal behaviour for the thrill of the adrenaline buzz presumably); and of course, Alcohol.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.
BB