Thread: How to cope
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sasha1972

Even if you hadn't nagged him and had been perfectly sweet and understanding at all times, he still would have had a drinking problem. The problem starts in his brain, not in your marriage. In my limited experience, alcoholics can make ANYTHING into "the reason why I drink (it's not my fault!)".

For myself I went for years believing that if I was less "difficult", less "stand-offish", less "withdrawn", my husband wouldn't need to drink. After I left, he married a woman who is in many respects the complete opposite of me. And he drank even more. And then he got divorced from her, and drank even more.

So -
When he was married to me, he drank.
When he was married to someone completely different from me, he drank.
When he was single, he drank.
I have no doubt that if he married a cross between Mother Theresa and Beyonce with a Nobel Prize in physics, he would drink.

It had nothing to do with the quality of the relationships - it had everything to do with his dysfunctional ways of regulating emotions, helped along by a messed-up brain.

Don't let your husband's excuses become the story of your life. You probably weren't a perfect partner - nobody is. Maybe you did or said lots of things you regret now. But you didn't make him drink.