View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
10r

Counting the days doesn't work for me.

I used to be so addicted to alcohol so badly that for example I'd have a difficult time to say stay at a relatives for a few days. I'd have DT's starting, the shakes and insomnia.
Ive now been four months sober with the exception of a few slip ups. By that I mean a few drinks one or two times. Not wasted or binge drinking. I just slipped a bit is all.

I've been back on the path to recovery no problem for a while now.

For myself if I'd start the count over it would be annoying, I'd get a sense of failure and it would be like telling myself I'm back at day one again. Where is I'm not at day one and I've come so very far and worked hard to get here.
Yes I regret my mistakes but I've decided to stop counting the days. Instead I've been looking at my recovery as a whole.

Four months ago I couldn't barely go a night without drinking and now it's not too much of a struggle to not drink at all. It's getting better with time. I go to meetings and different support groups and have someone to talk to whenever I need it. I'm still in recovery.

I'm not saying counting the days is not the way to go because it has worked for most people just not me.

From what I've read for a lot of people resetting the days means f it and go on a binge. That's really throwing all that sober time out the window. We are just human.

Any opinions?