View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
freein14

Dee, I hope you had a restful break, it's good to take time out every now and then. Did you have time to do something for yourself?

Tops, it is a dilemma isn't it? On the one hand you want to help make your parents last few years as enjoyable as possible, but on the other hand you also need time to enjoy your own life. It's wonderful that you've included your Dad on trips out, it is a little bit funny that it's been a bit too much for him - it's usually the other way round....."My children can't be bothered to visit me..." I can imagine your Dad hiding behind the sofa, saying "Its too much, I need a break....."

I think it was probably a mistake on my part, visiting my parents every Sunday. It's now something that's expected, and just part of my dad's routine, rather than something for him to look forward to. My brother was visiting last week, and my dad found that much more exciting (probably because they can sit and talk about carburettors for hours).

Your dad is so lucky to have you as a son. I'm sure he realises it too.
There's no doubt that it's important to balance that role with personal time too.
It's a challenge for sure. I've definitely not got it right - I'd quite like to run away to be honest..but I know that won't actually help.

Perhaps I'll find a way to have a mini-run- away