View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LastingChange

Vacation and 8 weeks

Hi All,

Just checking in as I reach the half way mark of my holiday/vacationing. Having a wonderful time with my husband and I am thrilled to report that I have succeeded in staying alcohol free thus far, with every intention of continuing to do so.

Today also marks 8 weeks sober for me, and this will be my first sober vacation. The first few days were tough, with an internal battle fought between my commitment to sobriety, and the familiar wiles of my AV. I am proud to say that I have been able to quash the manipulative sway of the AV and I am certain that I am having a much better time for it!

Although I have unfortunately over indulged in food, and given in to some of my binge eating tendencies due to low self esteem, I am proud that I have accomplished 8 weeks of sobriety, and whilst on vacation nonetheless. Although it is clear that I still have a long way to go, I can at least take solace in the fact that I am getting there.

To anyone struggling with their own demons, or concerned about an upcoming vacation, I wanted to post here to emphasise how much more enjoyable this trip has been without the crushing guilt and nausea of hangovers, overspending and embarassment due to drunken behaviour. I have been able to be more present and explore the area rather than just the inside of local bars and nightclubs.

The AV will try to convince you that you 'deserve' to have a drink, to 'have fun' - but that is a dangerous illusion. You 'deserve' to have fun and allow yourself? to fully enjoy the experience of being present in the moment, and making memories that you will have the capacity and the desire to remember!

Stay strong all :-)