View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
tealily

Originally Posted by 8DC View Post
I have started to worry about the amount I drink.

I'll easily have 1 bottle of wine a night.

At weekends when I drink more than this I regularly have blackouts

I always wake up in the morning and say I won't drink tonight... then tonight comes round and I'm buying a bottle

I can't imagine never having another drink. I just want to be able to not be like this.
Claire, welcome to SR!

So glad you joined in. It sounds like your drinking is alarming you and causing you some serious issues. Most of us came here for the same reason. I'd say we all "wished" we could, as you say, still drink but "not be like this". If it were that easy, this group wouldn't be here. Unfortunately, alcohol is lot more insidious than that.

I tried countless times to cut down, back off, control amounts or numbers of days. It never worked more than a few days, as you have found. Finally, the only thing that did work for me, was taking it off the table as an option. Not as much "denying" myself drinking but "choosing" to be healthy and not poison myself.

It's impossible at first to imagine "never" drinking again, because alcohol is addictive. Just start with one day, and see how much better you feel. Then do that again.

Keep reading here, and posting. We understand and want to help!