View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
PhoenixJ

Welcome to SR, Scott. I tried for years to stop. My pattern of failure was because it as a PATTERN. I applied the same way of thinking. The same cycle- the same mistakes. I had to really look hard at myself- and change my thinking. The way I saw myself and how I did things. You probably have an awareness of the huge amount of online resources as well as what is near you.
AA works for me in so far as when I was doing the steps, with a sponsor- I did what I was told. When struggling for physical health in hospital from my burns- again I followed advice. Same with SMART, my GP, my counsellor and psychologist. I journal, had to get my depression under control. I HAD TO BEING THE PROCESS OF BELIEVING IN MYSELF. Otherwise I was going to repeat the same cycle. That AA bit of the definition of insanity for the alcie - is continually doing the same things without success to 'hope' this time around it will be different. If I leave home every morning at exactly 0900 to catch a tram..and every morning I miss the same tram by 2 minutes....well.
Support to you.