Thread: 37 days today
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FeelingL0st

37 days today

Clean and sober.
I just spent a week with my family on vacation. My family does nothing without alcohol. I seriously thought about not going. I was afraid to put myself in that situation for 7 days.
My first night was horrible. Apparently there has been lots of talk, behind my back, about my not drinking having to do with something illegal, or being brainwashed by someone, blah, blah, blah.
It hurt so much to find that out, especially when I explained to the same members of my family, over Father's Day week-end, that I was making changes and one of them was to stop drinking.
I almost left and drove the 9 hours home, that very evening on that first night of vacation. Instead I slept on it and prayed and woke up to tell everyone in the morning, that I stopped drinking because I wanted to, I was making changes, attempting to be healthier and NOT because I was brainwashed or because something illegal happened.
I told them under no certain circumstances was I going to explain why I quit anymore.
I set healthy boundaries with them and it was never mentioned again.
I know they will talk amongst themselves. I was the partier, the case a beer drinker who brought the fun to the event. Naturally it would seem odd that I had chosen to quit.
But now it is on them and I no longer need to explain anything to them.
This is MY life and MY story.
I wound up having a blast. I enjoyed every moment and was living every moment. I remember everything, lol, and never wasted time wondering how much beer we needed, if we had enough for the evening, did we need more ice, where did I put my beer, how bad would I feel in the morning.
I managed to make it through 7 days watching 8 adults drink, get drunk, argue once they were and I never picked up.
37 days has passed so quickly. But not without tears or anger or regrets or feeling of being left out, but 37 days has also come with euphoria, a huge sense of peace and happiness, clear mindedness, and no chaos.
37 days days clean and sober!
Have a happy sober Sunday SR!!