View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
amy55

Another double winner here also.

I started in "newcomer's" August 2011. I think I first posted at 12 noontime. I couldn't deal with things anymore. I had so much work to do in this house and I couldn't find a contractor to help me. I was on I think, my fifth beer of the day. I bought this foreclosure in April 2011. I thought things would be so easy because I am good with home repairs and painting, gardening, etc... Well, anyway, I was going to do most of the work myself. I pulled up the carpeting and realized that oil was spilled all over my sub floor. I tried my best that summer to try to get the oil stains out, but whenever it got humid, that oil just bubbled up to the top again.

So, that August day, I joined here. I knew I had to stop drinking. I needed to get strong, so that I could fight those carpenter bees, the carpenter ants, make this cabin livable. I needed to realize that without help, I will continue to sleep on an air mattress with patio furniture for my dining room and living room. Winter was coming, and I live in Pa. (lol)

I was so angry at my ex for the way I was living. I was angry at life in general. It hit me that day that where I was in life at that point, was all on me. I made the choices that I did, and I needed to fix them. It was time for me to start controlling the only person that I can control, and that was "me".

After awhile, I started to wander over to this forum, F & F. I saw many stories of the life that I left, and I was learning "coping skills". I had no coping skills. If I got stressed, I went out and brought a case of beer. That was no longer helping, all it did was delay me from putting into action what I knew would be better for me. I was afraid. I never lived alone. I never had to make decisions. I was just being inactive in doing anything to better myself or my life.

So, I took control. I found a contractor, had a new sub floor put in, a new kitchen, new bathroom. Finally brought furniture for my house. I also took care of those carpenter bees and ants on my own.

I read the plans that you are making, and you are on the right track. You are taking control of your life back. Kudos to you. Thank you also for sharing your story here with us.

((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))
amy