Old 07-06-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Tetra

I got a phone call this week from a mother whose son is severely autistic. Unfortunately it's hospital policy that you won't get seen at the clinic without a referral letter from somewhere, be it your G.P. or someone else. I was waiting for the fax which eventually arrived. My consultant read it and said he has to come in as an emergency in the next available theatre slot for cauterisation under general anaesthetic. I phoned his mother to say I was booking him in for next Tuesday. She started crying and said "I really appreciate this! I owe you a bottle of whiskey!" I laughed and thought that's the last thing I need. Give me chocolate if anything.

She also told me that she can't control him and he could abscond at the last minute so she will have to bring him to the G.P. first to give him something to calm him down.

Why is it that people who are really really struggling are the most genuine and generous? I mean cancer patients or families of people with severe disabilities?

I've had the ears chewed off me several times today by people coming in for a minor operation.

On a separate note I appear to have got my increment of sorts. They really outdid themselves... NOT. As my dad pointed out it will pay for my takeaway coffees. I mentioned to my dad last week that I would love a holiday. He said you deserve one. Put a little aside to go to your brother in Philadelphia in the autumn. My brother told me before that autumn would be good as the intense heat of summer will be over and it's before the snowfall of winter. I can't take much heat unfortunately. I say I'm going there every year but I mean it this time.

Really I was so upset this afternoon that I had to walk away from my desk and I went to see some old friends in another office. They knew me from when I was at my lowest and they were exceptionally kind. They told me I did the right thing by taking a break and made me an espresso from the coffee machine they got for their office. My colleague told me when I got back that my phone was ringing nonstop since I left my desk but she told everyone I was "at a meeting". Some people can be very kind and I hope I'm kind too. Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day.