Thread: Honesty
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 01:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Lava256

Thank you all for your kind responses and encouragement and understanding.

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
It seems that something pretty fundamental has broken down if he would not let you attend AA as I would have thought your health should be important to him.
While I have not come out and talked to him about wanting to do AA (lying by omission) I honestly believe it would be a lost cause to do so. I commented in the past how he has this attitude that seeking help from outside oneself is a show of weakness. Same goes for my own individual therapy (if I should ever want to do it) and marriage counseling (if I should ever suggest it). He strongly is against such things. He doesn't even believe in sharing one's problems with a close friend or family. He handles all his issues himself and it works for him. But i'm not like him so I suffer quietly. Actually, what would happen if I was to mention any of the above would be an argument, criticism and accusations. So I'd just rather not go there. He's not the kind of guy to even hear you out and then voice his objections calmly. He gets loud, accusatory and demeaning and I end up being frustrated. Everything has to be his way.

Anyway, this is a lot. I honestly believe individual therapy would do me a ton of good. I have many personal issues to deal with, including the compulsive lying (which I do believe is a real problem). How to wing that though, is a different issue. But I am thinking about it.

I should try meditation. And use more tools here on SR too. The gratitude list, for one, and a solid recovery plan. As I begin to be more proactive in my life, I hope to start seeing things more clearly and be able to make more positive decisions for my future.

Again, thanks everyone.