View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mpie9

Yes. I just recently wrote a letter to my dad, who isn't an alcoholic, but left when I was 19 or so after my parents divorced. He had an aneurysm and has def been slower mentally, never was good with communication and may be dealing with secondary effects of the aneurysm such as depression. Who knows...he essentially abandoned me, didn't ever really seem interested in talking to me after that. It hurts because I was close to him growing up. It has been something i've suppressed my whole 20s and my therapist recommended writing a letter to just let him know how I was doing, hope he is well etc. I've kind of stopped reaching out to protect myself over the years and last time I heard from him was last summer briefly in a text. I Perhaps I should write a goodbye letter too.
It is very sad, but i've kind of accepted it. I've had my guard up and was very reluctant to write a letter, but I had very little if any expectations. I was right...nothing. If anything, if he got it and read it (if his crazy finance didn't rip it up), he knows i'm doing good and it feels good to have reached out.

I feel you. Just gotta lower the expectations completely and expect nothing. I have a very small family and losing him makes it very hard, but it is what it is. I hope he is doing ok, that's all I can hope for.