Old 06-26-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Frustrated47

AABF told not to be in a relationship

I understand your frustration. When my alcoholic addict boyfriend was in rehab his counselor told him he should not be in a relationship.

She told him the best things to do if you are a person who is trying to get clean and sober is to just focus on your sobriety and not be in a relationship.

This frustrated me. The woman didn't know anything about me and was telling him not to continue a relationship. I understand focusing on your sobriety, but what if we had been married?

Does she counsel everyone who goes into rehab to automatically go get divorced if they're going to seek sobriety?

On the other hand, you have to look at where the information is coming from. My AABF. Has lied so much it's not even funny. So who knows if what they are saying is even true?

Maybe your BF just wants an out & is using that as an excuse?

I have found that being in a relationship with someone who uses drugs and alcohol to excess has been exhausting and very costly, not only financially but emotionally and mentally as well.

It may be the best thing for you to cut ties with him regardless of how painful. I understand the loss. I really do.