View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by asixstringnut View Post
Just trying to get through day four sober. I am totally exhausted, huge headache, some shakes, sweating, grumpy and feeling hopeless. I am going to be 63 this July so I ask myself why bother to quit? I feel like I have much of a life ahead of me. I don’t have a wife or a relationship, I don’t have any children. Sometimes I just find myself thinking what is the point?
And I am dying for a drink. Please forgive me if this sounds like a pity party.
I can’t go back to drinking. I don’t think I have another quit or day one left in me to be honest.

asixstringnut
I felt exactly the same. No wife, no children, no home, no job, no money, no friends, no prospects. This was the position from which I recovered at the age of 22. I couldn't see the point. People tell you if you stop drinking it will all get better. That was not true for me. If stopping drinking was all I did, it actually got worse. I wasn't keen on sobriety for that reason. My experience was that sobriety was horrible.

In the end the only thing I wanted for the misery to stop. There is more than one way that can be accomplished, but finally, I was miserable enough and desperate enough to reach out to the kind people at AA, with the slight hope that they may have a solution for me.

I got involved in the program, and in a short time life did take on some meaning, it got considerably better, and has stayed that way for a very long time. Are you willing to do anything to get rid of the misery? You could be in the exact right spot to make a great recovery.