View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

I think you started out just right.

I could have said a lot of the very same things about where I was at in my thirties.

It's remarkable how quickly things went downhill.

In a matter of a few years my drinking had changed markedly.

Previously I'd managed to mostly hold it all together.

Once I started hiding my drinking to mask the reality and my tolerance had increased to the point that I was needing to drink more and more.... the ball really began rollling.

Next thing I knew, I woke up one day and I was drinking in the morning. Going to the liquor store on the way home.... drinking before I got home.... going on a "walk" just so I could go slam down a pint......

I really am not sure where the tipping point was between 'holding it all together' and totally losing control. I don't suppose it really matters. And in hindsight I was not holding anything together nearly as well as I believed.

I wish I'd pulled my head out of denial when I was back where you are now and really gotten it and embraced sobriety fully. I'd be way further in life now and would have saved myself a lot of misery.

But I'm glad I'm now 3.5 years sober and life is a million times better.

I'm glad you popped in. You're asking all the right questions. You've painted a picture for us in just a short post that - if you look at it and are honest with yourself - reveals some very telling things about your relationship with alcohol.

I promise you.... I absolutely promise and GURANTEE you, if you choose to embrace sobriety and do everything it takes to live a present, rich, deep, meaningful life without alcohol - it will be rewarding beyond your wildest conception. It will come back to you, to your children, to your wife, to the whole experience of your life a millionfold.

It's all up to you though. You have to make a choice.

Does alcohol mean so much to me that I'm willing to risk losing all I have?

Or does my life and all the people in it and all I've got going for me represent just the leaping-off point of a life of grateful abundance in sobriety - and is that vision worth more to me than booze?

Up to you. We are here to help.