Old 06-05-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by imaj79 View Post
Thanks everyone. I do realize that only going to a few meetings isn't going to help much. I have been seriously thinking about seeing a counselor as i feel like one on one would be better for me right now. That will probably be my next course of action. It is just so frustrating because he said he feels better and his anxiety is better and yet he is drinking again and he has tons of reasons to stay sober and none to drink other than the disease of course.
Meetings in themselves are not the program of recovery. Sitting in meetings waiting for the recovery fairy to come sprinkle me with her magic dust never worked for me (and I stuck with that as a plan for 6 months). I needed to get a sponsor and actually work the program. Once i started doing that as well as going to the meetings, that's when I started getting better.

There is nothing to stop you from seeing a counsellor as well as doing AlAnon.

Neither of these things are ever going to be able to give you the solution for getting your husband better though. While your husband wants to drink And labours under the false illusion that he will one day be able to cut down and moderate his drinking, then he will just keep drinking. He still sounds pretty much in denial to be honest. I know plenty of people who cane out of the first round of rehab the same way, thinking they did that so they must be cured. Most of them still had to get further down and in more pain before they were willing to concede that they could NOT drink like a normies, ever. And they were alcoholics, and this was a lifelong problem.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery, and sending prayers for your husband.

BB