View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alan6154

Give me 5 reasons

I every so often have to remind myself why I CHOSE sobriety. There was no gun to my head and it certainly isn't the easy way out. It takes work and willpower and being conscientious of your surroundings. So I make mental list like this one.

Reasons not to drink:
1) Health - I am in better shape than I've been in a decade. Blood pressure is back to normal.
2) Mentally - My thinking is much more acute and I am able to stay focused on minute details for extended periods. Memory recall has returned.
3) Attitude - I am neither overly gregarious nor am I acidic. My personality matches the situation. I am much more even keeled and I have infinitely more patience in the idiots of the world (and my teenagers)
4) Sleep - Like a baby. So refreshing after two decades of drunken slumber.
5) Money - Cash, coin, cake, $$$$, call it what you will. At a conservative $25 / day I have saved $4,275.00 to date.

Now I know every now and then life throws everyone a curve ball. Bad things happen in the world and to individuals on SR, me included. But I can never come up with a list of how drinking will make anything better in the long run. So before you take that first drink take two minutes to make your list of how it's going to help you deal with whatever situation you are facing. If you can't you have your answer.