Notices

Give me 5 reasons

Old 06-04-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Give me 5 reasons

I every so often have to remind myself why I CHOSE sobriety. There was no gun to my head and it certainly isn't the easy way out. It takes work and willpower and being conscientious of your surroundings. So I make mental list like this one.

Reasons not to drink:
1) Health - I am in better shape than I've been in a decade. Blood pressure is back to normal.
2) Mentally - My thinking is much more acute and I am able to stay focused on minute details for extended periods. Memory recall has returned.
3) Attitude - I am neither overly gregarious nor am I acidic. My personality matches the situation. I am much more even keeled and I have infinitely more patience in the idiots of the world (and my teenagers)
4) Sleep - Like a baby. So refreshing after two decades of drunken slumber.
5) Money - Cash, coin, cake, $$$$, call it what you will. At a conservative $25 / day I have saved $4,275.00 to date.

Now I know every now and then life throws everyone a curve ball. Bad things happen in the world and to individuals on SR, me included. But I can never come up with a list of how drinking will make anything better in the long run. So before you take that first drink take two minutes to make your list of how it's going to help you deal with whatever situation you are facing. If you can't you have your answer.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LOL.....The teenager part was very funny. I have a teenager and I am amazed at the forgetfulness. Its almost like teenagers have chronic amnesia and cannot remember how to function or think........ It drives me crazy. Internally my top has blown but outwardly I am completely calm and talk very very slowly.....again and again and again.

You do chose sobriety and it makes a world of difference when we can put it into this perspective as opposed to resistance and self pity.

Nice Post!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lists are good. Good share. Good for you...just freakin' good.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is my list which I have just copied and pasted off one of my home screens on my phone...it stays there to remind me every day 💜

I want to go on to be a mother one day
Calmness
Proud of myself
Trusting myself
Loving myself
Productive
Energetic
Anxiety free
Creating happy and fun memories
Looking at pictures with no regrets
Enjoyment and fun
Feeling difficult emotions and working through them
Improved health and fitness
Free
In control
Fulfilment
Life with meaning and purpose
Old 06-04-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, it is simple: everything is better sober. And, I would lose the amazing life that I have if I wasn't sober and actively grateful for it every day. I will never go back to drinking.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Excellent. You've covered all the bases that keep me sober. Those 5 things are enough for me.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

1 damaged relationship, family, social life

2 damage work/ business life its effect ur future

3 cause psychal/mental health problems

4 make you lose self respect turn you into ratling

5 if you save money you spent for alcohol and cigarettes you can buy a house in 15 years.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Instead of waking up sick as hell and hating myself, I wake up feeling good and ready for the day.

Instead of neglecting my beloved animals, I now spend lots of time taking care of them.

Instead of spending my money on wine, I now pay my bills on time and in full.

Instead of my kids being ashamed of me, they are proud of me for getting sober.

Instead of always being drunk or sick, I now am fully present and capable of handling whatever comes my way.

Living sober really rocks!