Old 05-31-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Ananda

Yep ... even back when "it was fun" it wasn't really all fun ... lots of times sick, blacked out, or just crying and unable to stop sluring, and sleeping with any old thing that that gave me the time of day.

I think the "fun" was often more a "whistleing in the dark" trying not to think about some issues of abuse I had...

Glad that I don't have those worries today and sober is turning out to be a lot of fun this time. Of course the fact that I had to retire in December means I have more freedom than in the past to pursue my stuff.

Today is supposed to "Poetry Day", but as usual I have too much to finish up to get to it. I will have to make a more solid effort. If you want to work on your writing again (although it sounds like you have real training), my mentor has told me ...

write at least 200 words everyday for a month to start with just to get in the habit (in a journal no one reads and don't think about what you are writing ...the point is to find your voice with out you, or anyone else for sure, effecting the writing with criticism or praise.

Choose a poet (since that is my main medium) you like and basically imitate them till it feels natural. This isn't about adopting their style. It's really about finding your own through exploring others. I chose Emily Dickenson the first time. Now I may have to choose between Phil Oches, John Prine and Macklemore ... (NOT ... cause it doesn't fit my style...mmm maybe that would make it more interesting!

Anyhow .... just thought I'd post something before you wake up so the thread isn't lost in the list!