Old 05-14-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I agree with all the others who have posted.

One thing I want to clarify. IF he gets sober, you will not have to avoid places that serve alcohol for the rest of your life. That's for people who are white-knuckling or those in very early sobriety. For people who have JUST quit drinking, it's smart to avoid places with easy access to booze, but within a few months to a year, most of us find our comfort zone. I've been sober eight years and here's my own experience: I am fine going to a restaurant that serves alcohol. I don't mind parties, though I prefer those that don't take place in bars, and if everyone starts getting drunk/buzzed I get very bored. I prefer no alcohol in my home. If for some reason people brought it for dinner or something, I'd have them take any leftovers home with them. That's me. Other people have no problem even having it in their home. Some people avoid bars. It's very individual, and every sober alcoholic is responsible for managing his/her sobriety. I always tell people if the situation makes you uncomfortable, leave.

I would, however, at this time, not drink around him if I were you. If you're out with friends on your own, no reason for you not to have a drink. But drinking with him/in front of him is a form of enabling, IMO. You can't control what he does, but you don't have to condone it by doing it in front of him or with him.