View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
atalose

I guess I should clarify one thing. I am done living with the alcoholic. I'm not done with him....or at least I hope not.
Well here's the thing, the alcoholic and him are the same person. Alcoholism is part of who he is and will always be part of who he is. Even if he jumps into recovery and gets sober alcoholism will still be part of him. Alcoholism is a life long disease with no cure except abstinence along with learning new copping skills in life. If just stopping drinking was the answer none of us would be here because it would be simple but it's not, it's very complex.

We can't just make an ultimatum and expect to control their drinking and then life will be good. Ultimatums don't work, they build resentment and back fire on us.

Legally you can't kick him our of his own house so your first ultimatum already isn't going to work.
Your second ultimatum of him not drinking, you've heard his words of not drinking, you've not witnessed that yet. I'm sure he can not drink for a days or even weeks but without some kind of outside help other then him just stopping. His drinking will return..........then what?

Glad you are here and glad you are seeing a therapist. Reading about alcoholism and addict behavior is an eye opener and I hope you check out some al-anon meeting in your area.