View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
DesertDawg

Originally Posted by ExhaustedPigeon View Post
And I feel like because I'm "functioning" nobody takes my problem seriously. I have enablers left and right. But nobody enabling me to get help.
That's a very good point, EP. When I was trying to get into rehab, I basically had to beg and plead to be admitted; because like you I was still functioning relatively well (on the outside), they kept trying to tell me to go to outpatient treatment (which MAY have helped, but I'm not sure). And when I was in, my insurance company would only pay for the first 22 days because, according to them, inpatient was no longer needed because I was functioning so well, and I had to pay for the remaining 8 days out of my pocket. Basically, the clock was ticking as soon as I got into inpatient because I hadn't YET flushed my whole life down the toilet. But that's not because my problem wasn't bad; it was because, like you EP, I was still fighting hard to keep things together. With that said, if you really can't go away, an outpatient (IOP) program may be helpful. At the very least, it will give you some accountability, which can make a difference.