Thread: Day 101
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
skybert

Originally Posted by poolside View Post
Thanks for the encouraging words skybert!

When I was drinking I was doing some cardio (stair machine), HIIT, and weight lifting (compound lifts). I was in pretty good shape--but I don't think I was eating enough, and I certainly was drinking too much.

Once I stopped drinking in January, the withdrawals hit me like a baseball bat to the face. After the initial period was over, I was hit by a prolonged period of fatigue and lethargy. There were days when I could barely get out of bed or walk to the car. Very strange.

I think getting back in the gym and back into my workout routine will be key to my recovery.
I did heavy cardio- and weight training during my drinking period too, and I think, in my ignorance, that my body got used to it in some way. I had good progress physically, and my capacity increased as I hoped it would. After reading about workout and addiction, I think what I did was very dangerous! The risk of a cardiac arrest and stroke is very high with that combo. It frightened me enough to make a choice: Either keep on drinking, OR continue my workouts. First choice would be my nemesis, both options simultanously the same, so I chose the last option.
Evaluating my physically progress 81 days into sobriety to my progress before quitting drinking, is almost like night and day. This fact has helped me not to relapse several times!