Notices

Day 101

Old 04-26-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 101

Hi all. I've been sober for 101 days. I've finally put 15-20 years of drinking (off and on) behind me. I've been lurking here at SR for a couple of months and have found everyone's stories and comments really helpful. Thank you!

At this point, after months of lethargy and fatigue, I feel I've turned a corner and gained some energy and mental strength to go out and get back into my workout and weight training routine. My exercise habits since quitting drinking have been zilch. I just lacked the energy. When I first stopped drinking I lost my appetite, stopped eating, and lost a lot of muscle mass. Over time my appetite returned and I filled back out a little. But until recently the tiredness remained.

At the same time, after a few weeks, I developed edema in my abdomen and legs. The edema in my legs went away after 2-3 weeks, but it remains in my stomach area. It's not too noticeable, but it bothers me. I've been taking some OTC diuretics, but I don't know if it's helped. The edema makes it more difficult to workout.

My question is, for edema, should we take in more fluids, or take diuretics? I'm pretty sure that when I was drinking I was both dehydrated (all I drank was black tea all day, and alcohol at night) and malnourished (two Paleo meals, breakfast and lunch, every day). At SR the overwhelming advice for people with edema/bloating seems to be "drink more fluids!," but for some reason I focused on taking diuretics instead. Too much consulting Dr. Google.

Any advice on this situation would be appreciated.

FYI apart from two weeks of initial withdrawal period, which was really unpleasant, I've exhibited no other major symptoms (which is main reason I haven't seen a doctor, the other being that I took time off from work and am between companies).
Old 04-26-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Poolside welcome & congrats on day 101
Old 04-26-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Hi Poolside welcome & congrats on day 101
Thank you soberwolf! 👍
Old 04-26-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

poolside
Super for the 101.
Keep your gloves up - odaat
Old 04-26-2017, 11:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

bump
Old 04-27-2017, 12:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi poolside

My question is, for edema, should we take in more fluids, or take diuretics? I'm pretty sure that when I was drinking I was both dehydrated (all I drank was black tea all day, and alcohol at night) and malnourished (two Paleo meals, breakfast and lunch, every day). At SR the overwhelming advice for people with edema/bloating seems to be "drink more fluids!," but for some reason I focused on taking diuretics instead. Too much consulting Dr. Google.
sounds like a great question to ask your Dr.

We can't give medical advice here - but to be honest, edemas not really something I'd try and treat myself.

Congrats on your sober time.

D
Old 04-27-2017, 03:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Doc
Old 04-27-2017, 03:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 101!! You beat me with exactly 20 days today
I know nothing about your medical issues, but on workout I know a bit.
Workout is one of the main reasons I am where I am today. I don't think I would hav been sober today without experiencing the very motivating progress I have physically.
On your medical issues, I agree with previous replies: See your DR!

Keep fighting!

-skybert
Old 04-27-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

101 days is fantastic!!! I personally would drink a ton of water for a few days and if the edema persists head directly to my PCP without passing go. Edema in the abdomen could be ascites and indicative of much graver problems. Doctor or bust is my opinion.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job- crossing 100 was a turning point for me too!

As others said, I'd go to the dr. I know my team (GP, liver dr, psych) have been key to my recovery.

My body has needed a LOT of time to repair (I am at 430 days today) and I still don't like my tummy (I needed to gain weight) but that's now because of too much sweet stuff.

Keep going.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi poolside

sounds like a great question to ask your Dr.

We can't give medical advice here - but to be honest, edemas not really something I'd try and treat myself.

Congrats on your sober time.

D
Thanks Dee. I get it. Agreed, I should probably see a dr if things don't improve here soon. It's just that there are so many success stories at SR, it's tempting to expect the same for our own situations.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I dont know - seems like 90 - 100 days felt pretty rough to me.
Obviously better than hangover and actively drinking, though, right?
Congrats on 100 days!!! You are doing it!!!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skybert View Post
Congrats on 101!! You beat me with exactly 20 days today
I know nothing about your medical issues, but on workout I know a bit.
Workout is one of the main reasons I am where I am today. I don't think I would hav been sober today without experiencing the very motivating progress I have physically.
On your medical issues, I agree with previous replies: See your DR!

Keep fighting!

-skybert
Thanks for the encouraging words skybert!

When I was drinking I was doing some cardio (stair machine), HIIT, and weight lifting (compound lifts). I was in pretty good shape--but I don't think I was eating enough, and I certainly was drinking too much.

Once I stopped drinking in January, the withdrawals hit me like a baseball bat to the face. After the initial period was over, I was hit by a prolonged period of fatigue and lethargy. There were days when I could barely get out of bed or walk to the car. Very strange.

I think getting back in the gym and back into my workout routine will be key to my recovery, which is one reason I'm eager to do it.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by poolside View Post
Thanks Dee. I get it. Agreed, I should probably see a dr if things don't improve here soon. It's just that there are so many success stories at SR, it's tempting to expect the same for our own situations.
Regarding "success stories" here on SR, I felt the same way. But all of a sudden the thought of all of us beeing in the same boat struck me. Remember that there are allways loads of angles that we people presents ourselves. In this moment, I can relate to success, but then in the next I am a failure. You can choose to focus on the contributions about success, or you can focus on all our failures. It is up to you. But keep in mind that behind every inch of success, there is miles of failure. Life is a struggle for all of us. Addicted or not.

Stay strong, and make the best of it.
-skybert
Old 04-27-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by poolside View Post
Thanks for the encouraging words skybert!

When I was drinking I was doing some cardio (stair machine), HIIT, and weight lifting (compound lifts). I was in pretty good shape--but I don't think I was eating enough, and I certainly was drinking too much.

Once I stopped drinking in January, the withdrawals hit me like a baseball bat to the face. After the initial period was over, I was hit by a prolonged period of fatigue and lethargy. There were days when I could barely get out of bed or walk to the car. Very strange.

I think getting back in the gym and back into my workout routine will be key to my recovery.
I did heavy cardio- and weight training during my drinking period too, and I think, in my ignorance, that my body got used to it in some way. I had good progress physically, and my capacity increased as I hoped it would. After reading about workout and addiction, I think what I did was very dangerous! The risk of a cardiac arrest and stroke is very high with that combo. It frightened me enough to make a choice: Either keep on drinking, OR continue my workouts. First choice would be my nemesis, both options simultanously the same, so I chose the last option.
Evaluating my physically progress 81 days into sobriety to my progress before quitting drinking, is almost like night and day. This fact has helped me not to relapse several times!
Old 04-27-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
I dont know - seems like 90 - 100 days felt pretty rough to me.
Obviously better than hangover and actively drinking, though, right?
Congrats on 100 days!!! You are doing it!!!
Thanks madgirl! Yeah, I'm not out of the woods yet at 101 days. Still have a lot of work to do.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by skybert View Post
I did heavy cardio- and weight training during my drinking period too, and I think, in my ignorance, that my body got used to it in some way. I had good progress physically, and my capacity increased as I hoped it would. After reading about workout and addiction, I think what I did was very dangerous! The risk of a cardiac arrest and stroke is very high with that combo. It frightened me enough to make a choice: Either keep on drinking, OR continue my workouts. First choice would be my nemesis, both options simultanously the same, so I chose the last option.
Evaluating my physically progress 81 days into sobriety to my progress before quitting drinking, is almost like night and day. This fact has helped me not to relapse several times!
This is so interesting to me. I too have kept up a pretty rigorous exercise routine, exercising 4-5x a week, binging/passing out about 3 days a week.... oh for the last couple of years. I think I've convinced myself "hey, at least I'm exercising. That has to help even if I drink too much". Or "I only drink wine and you know they say it DOES have health benefits". But a couple bottles a night isn't healthy.

I've been 4 days sober and just today I felt SO TIRED! I've been eating well and hydrating big time. My stomach is sorta bloated and I'm never bloated so I'll def see where this thread AND my stomach goes, lol!

Thank you all for everything. I'm so thankful to have so much insight!