View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bee89

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
I just wanted to let you know I understand how exhausted, sad and angry you are feeling. I was married to an alcoholic for a long time. It drained me and then broke me.

I don't have much in the way of advice other than to encourage you to set firm boundaries for what kind of behaviour is acceptable in your life and the lives of your daughters.

When I first learned about setting boundaries to protect myself, instead of imposing rules on him, I started slow and simple. My very first boundary was; " I will not engage with him when he has been drinking" ... that meant no arguing, to blaming, no yelling, no crying , no pleading, no bargaining... just (forced at first) indifference as I went about doing what I needed to. It wasn't easy at first but it made things so much easier once I got the hang of it.

I slowly and steadily made stronger boundaries for myself until, in MY case, I was no longer able to allow active alcoholism in my daily life or in my living space. I needed my home to be my sanctuary and it was NOT when there was a drunk at home. After 26 years together, I moved away.

I wish you luck and peace as you navigate the mine field addiction has brought into your life.

Hugs to you and your precious girls.
After reading your response, I tried your not engaging him boundary when he relapsed this last time and it helped myself by not seeing him that way or engaging with him. Where did you learn about boundriares? If you don't mind me asking, what others did you set for yourself. Thank you!