View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bee89

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
What more do you think you can do to battle HIS addiction? An addiction that he doesn’t seem to want any help with in stopping.

I’m sure you learned in AA, al-anon, therapy, psychiatry and church that not only has it never been up to you or your job or responsibility to fix him but it’s impossible to fix another human being. It’s like you are spinning your wheels in the sand devoting all of everything you have in an attempt to fix something you’ll never be able to fix. And all of that time, effort, energy, obsessive thoughts will take you away from your children who already have one parent who’s not fully able to be fully present in their lives.

Have you given any though to going back to al-anon or seeking therapy again? Do you have the support of family and friends should you make the decision to get out and on healthier grounds for yourself and your children? Do you have a plan to support yourself and your children in the event he loses his job or worse? Do you keep narcan in your home in the event he over doses? These are all the realities of life when we chose to live with an active addict.
I know I can't do anymore then I've done. And I know it has to be him to want to stop.

I'm trying to get back into therapy but I'm having insurance issues, so hopefully soon. You've made some very good points. My family would help in the event of getting out of the relationship but I don't have a plan should that happen. I think I need to step away from my emotions and build one. And as "common sense" as that seems, I can't believe I've never thought of that. Thank you. I don't have narcan in our house, do you know how I would go about to getting it?