View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MrMcTell

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
There are people in wheelchairs envious of those that can walk. People with hearing loss that wish they could just communicate with others verbally.
Looking at someone having a drink at a bar is a drop in the bucket compared to what many are experiencing, that we take for granted.
That is something I have been thinking about recently as well. Conversely there all lots of people who are better looking than me, more athletic, popular, naturally more charming and funny etc. I honestly don't feel the need to compare myself to them 24/7. That's just the way it is. Better to just get on with your thing.

Without wanting to trivialize what has been a life and death matter for many of us, the more sober time I get, the more ridiculous all the fear and anxiety over quitting and the anguish over not being able drink like other people seems to me. What does it matter in the grand scheme of things?

Consuming alcohol is such a tiny thing in comparison to all the other possibilities in life (which, of course, it robs you of in the end). It's such a small thing to give up for the promise of a much, much better life.

[Disclaimer: quitting is, of course, a major deal in another sense. I am prioritizing my recovery 100%. I'm not being complacent.]