Thread: Question.
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Wholesome

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Telling other people about your decision to quit drinking is similar to telling people that you are an alcoholic, especially if it is done for the purpose of 'accountability' as a non-drinker. This is not unusual in interpersonal dependency models of recovery, but your Beast will be well-poised to strike if you entertain that notion.

The best way to avoid blow-back and cultural stigmas is to allow things to happen naturally, and to keep your decision to quit drinking for good to yourself. It is for you to know, and for others to find out. Some ladies simply don't drink, zenchaser, and there is nothing wrong with that.

See "Personal Business" on pages 200-202 of your RR: TNC book.

Hi Algorithm, part of my thinking is that people already know I used to party. I've never been a secret, closet drinker, hiding bottles so no one would know. I feel like people already have this image of me so now I owe them an explanation as to why I'm not that way anymore. People are going to wonder why I'm leaving early on my own boyfriends birthday party..... I also don't like that I'm going to be making up some lie, some story. I don't normally tell lies, I don't see the need. Actually that's not entirely accurate, I lied plenty of times if I was too hungover to attend some event so lying to get myself out of a drinking event is OK lol. It would worry his mom to tell her the truth and I don't want to do that, she's a real sweetheart. Over time people will figure it out for themselves that I've changed, that's the right way, to let it happen gradually and naturally.

Sharing my decision would most definitely not be for accountability. I am the only one with the power here and I neither expect nor want anyone else getting involved in trying to manage me.

Thanks for all the replies! It's good to have a place where others understand and have already navigated these waters.