View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
abcowboy
No quitting on yer quit eh!

I really believe that there is something in our heads that makes us drink, and I don’t mean a brain misfire as it relates to alcohol. Something other than that, depression, anger, guilt, self-pity, poor self-esteem, something causes us to reach for the bottle to numb it. In order to be successful at quitting, we need to find out what that thing is, then find ways to deal with it other than by drinking.

I know it was that way for me. It wasn’t until I was at the very end of my rope and the knot was coming undone, that I realized something had to change or I would die, and possibly take someone along with me. And I knew I couldn’t figure it out on my own, I’d tried that too many times without any success. I’m so glad that my Doc made me see a counsellor, that was the only way that I started to understand where my drinking was coming from. I had to swallow a lot of pride and ego to make the appointments, but it was my pride and ego keeping me from getting sober.

I always think that people don’t have to get as low in the hole as I did, but maybe that’s not quite true. Maybe there are others like me that have to get close to death, or kill someone else before they realize that the madness has to stop. What a shame that is, that we think so little of ourselves or those around us, that we would let it get to that, but it did for me. It doesn’t have to be that way for you….