View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
atalose

I just don't understand it. I swear I've tried. I've gone to AA meetings, al-non meetings, psychiatry, therapy, church. I've tried being supportive, not being supportive, sending him to rehab at least 6 different times, tough love (I sent him to the work house), made him move into sober living away from us, had him committed to a mental health institution. I'm not ready to give up
What more do you think you can do to battle HIS addiction? An addiction that he doesn’t seem to want any help with in stopping.

He's been an addict since we met. He's a good guy, great with my daughter and our daughter we have together. He's supportive financially, emotionally, has great morals and manners (I remember when we first met how charmed I was by it, like a breathe of fresh air, so hard to find now.) I thought I could fix him,
I’m sure you learned in AA, al-anon, therapy, psychiatry and church that not only has it never been up to you or your job or responsibility to fix him but it’s impossible to fix another human being. It’s like you are spinning your wheels in the sand devoting all of everything you have in an attempt to fix something you’ll never be able to fix. And all of that time, effort, energy, obsessive thoughts will take you away from your children who already have one parent who’s not fully able to be fully present in their lives.

Have you given any though to going back to al-anon or seeking therapy again? Do you have the support of family and friends should you make the decision to get out and on healthier grounds for yourself and your children? Do you have a plan to support yourself and your children in the event he loses his job or worse? Do you keep narcan in your home in the event he over doses? These are all the realities of life when we chose to live with an active addict.