View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
maz36

Motivation slipping

Hello everyone,
I feel my motivation beginning to wane so thought I'd post here.
I stopped drinking on the 1st of March. Since then I made the decision to drink once at a family meal (on the 1st of April).
I learnt from that experience that I get zero pleasure from one drink. If I'm to drink it's to get totally drunk. The following day I understood the reason why I get stuck drinking every evening. Because the next day I felt anxious and low and craved drink that evening to help alleviate it. I didn't drink and got back into the sober mindset the following day.
Anyway I was (and still am) enjoying my sobriety. But I still feel an emptiness as I'm missing the enjoyment it brought me at the weekend celebrating the end of a working week. My alcoholic voice is niggling me with the idea of having one day a month where I drink - telling me I'll be able to get right back on track afterwards like I did after the family meal. Or that now I'm working full-time I can drink one night a week and avoid alcohol during the week. I know everyone says it'll creep back up. Anyway any shared experiences will be appreciated. Thanks everyone - you've been a great help to me x