View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Dave42001

Originally Posted by abcowboy View Post
It’s Good Friday today, and to a lot of people that just means a day off from work. The same as Easter Sunday and Christmas day. But if they weren’t important to us somehow, why would they be statutory holidays? I’m not sure if they are a stat holiday everywhere, but they are in a good many countries.

I remember way back when I was an altar boy at our church, the priest always stressed that Christmas was the most important day of the year, the day our Saviour was born. That way of thinking has changed, at least in my part of the world. Good Friday is now recognized as the most important day of the liturgical year, the day Jesus died so that our sins would be forgiven. In my small rural town, the only thing open today are the convenience stores, everything else is closed. That’s not so on Easter Sunday or Christmas day, lots of stores are open those days. So why is Good Friday so important, I’ll leave that answer up to each individual….

And I now stand corrected, I just had Bubba Google how many states in the U.S.A. celebrate Good Friday as a holiday, and there are only 12, so my apologies to those states (and countries) who don’t.

Back when I was drinking, those three holidays really just meant a day off for me, I had lost my faith in there being any sort of Supreme Being, God as it were. How things have changed since my fateful day. I observe the Lenten season, I gave up chocolate for Lent. Bubba and I didn’t eat meat on the Fridays during Lent, we had simple meals with fish. Today we will fast, hot cross buns will be the food we eat today, no snacks or sweets. I will sacrifice what I can to honour the sacrifice that was made so that my sins would be forgiven……
Amen!! Beautiful post!! Thank you very much!! I do not work on Good Friday either.. wishing you and your family a wonderful Easter Weekend!!