Old 04-12-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown View Post
My daughter chose teaching as her way to make a living. She is a physical ed with a side of adaptive PE. She lives in Wisconsin and I am so in awe of what she does. I got to sit in on a session and see her in action working with the kids. I had to go stand in the back to hide my tears. After...I asked her Michelle...how do you do this. She said Mama...you can't imagine the thrill of each task these kids master. I learn a LOT from my kids.
I'm a teacher working in a school for pupils with special educational needs, and I agree 100% with your daughter. I have a number of pupils with downs syndrome in my tutor group at the moment, and some who are quite far onto the autistic spectrum, and a prada willi pupil (who is my most challenging, and also the one who can bring me the most joy). My pupils teach me so, so much. I am privileged to spend time with them. Often people think working in my school must be depressing, but it really is a very joyful place. I tell my head that our school runs on love and that while this is true it will always be more than a sum of its parts. Sure, it can be challenging at times, but then, so can working with any bunch of teenagers. Or grown ups in an office to be honest. And let's not even get onto what the people working in catering or retail have to deal with ..... nope, I reckon I struck gold.