Notices

Day 11 - My name is MelbourneHelp and I am NOT an alcoholic

Old 04-11-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11 - My name is MelbourneHelp and I am NOT an alcoholic

I am so proud of my 11 days of sobriety, I really am.

I have taken on this journey as my own, to conquer with the support of friends and family and the support of the most amazing people within this group.

The work that the AA does is phenomenal and this post is not intended to contradict their amazing work in any way, shape or form.

However, I wanted to express to everyone here MY perspective and experience.

I previously acknowledged that I am an alcoholic, I was. I was a binge drinker that caused devastation in many areas of my life. However, in my most recent focus on giving up I did some self reflection on what has and hasn't worked previously and here is one of the things I discovered...

When I labelled myself as an alcoholic, it was that, a label. And so whenever that moment of temptation came... the moment of will I or will I not have a drink... the thought in my mind was "I am an alcoholic" and so if that's what I am I may as well drink.

I reframe was important to me and so 11 days in I am NOT an alcoholic and so instead of at that point of temptation agreeing with myself that I am an alcoholic I have decided to focus on "I am not an alcoholic".

If I am not an alcoholic I want drink alcohol, because that's not what alcoholics do.

That important re-frame is seriously working for me so I wanted to share it with YOU.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job on 11 days, keep it up
Old 04-11-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

You should be proud! 11 days is awesome.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you awesome people!
Old 04-11-2017, 10:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

As long as we're not drinking, we're good.
Congrats MH

D
Old 04-11-2017, 10:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whatever works for you

11 days is great.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on day 11
Old 04-12-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope you are on to day 12!

While I don't agree with your logic here- I'd be toying with a lot of AV- if things are working for you, that's great. Keep going- not drinking and learning how to live sober is the critical part.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I sometimes claim the mantle 'alcoholic'.

I sometimes feel that label is less productive for me personally.

What I've arrived at and what works for me personally is maintaining a steady and constant focus on what I want; an abundant, joyous, present life of sobriety.

When I do that, I can take or leave labels because they really don't influence me.

I am a sober man, living a grateful life.

And that has made all the difference.

Congratulations on 11 days.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I prefer to think of it in that I developed an "Allergy" to alcohol.

Whatever works!!
Old 04-12-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

11 days and the world spins and counts with the sun.. keep up the good work.. woot woot..
Old 04-12-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I understand what you're saying Melbourne. "Alcoholic" seems like an inadequate description and a difficult label to live with, especially considering it has been so inaccurately and woefully overused, but I don't really know what to call the state where alcohol has overwhelmed our systems and we pass the point of no return, the point where, unlike other people, we can no longer drink in safety. It's a physical thing, usually coupled with an emotional obsession caused by the condition. You would think the doctors could come up with a description. Maybe they have and I don't know about it.

I stopped identifying myself as an alcoholic maybe fifteen or twenty years ago, simply because as long as I don't drink I don't have a problem with alcohol. That's the nice thing about alcoholism: if you don't drink you don't have a problem with it. (But if you pick up one drink, life turns into a horror show quickly.)

Once in a while I go to an AA meeting. I say my name and say "I have a desire to stop drinking."

Seems to me that says it all.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think the issue is that people associate an 'alcoholic' with a loser, a bum, desperation, etc. But we all know that to us it means addiction to alcohol and that is it.

I don't believe I hit rock bottom when I decided to stop drinking....I just had enough. Like other have said, sick and tired of feeling sick and tired I am almost at 3 weeks, my husband is still drinking and there is vodka in the house. If I had no will power I'd be drinking too. I make a decision each day to not drink.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just have to say....I hate hitting the thanks button. Every person that responds helps. Everyone has a different perspective. Sometimes I start out hitting "Thanks" but much to my dismay....the responds go on page after page so I quit. Yes. I am that lazy.

But I do love your prospective. We all have to use whatever it takes to not drink. So GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Happy Wednesday!

I have never liked labels. I have to add that.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The label Alcoholic is as antiquated as the term ******.

People 100 years ago just called kids with Downs Syndrome or Asperger's ******* out of ignorance.

Like I said, I developed an allergy to alcohol from continued long term exposure. My science sounds as good as any.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CoffeeInstead View Post

...there is vodka in the house. If I had no will power I'd be drinking too. ....
Please take this in the kindly way it is intended: I hope for your sake you have a better plan than drinking coffee, relying on willpower, and living daily with Vodka around.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alan6154 View Post

People 100 years ago just called kids with Downs Syndrome or Asperger's ******* out of ignorance.
Yes. My brother has Downs Syndrome. When he was born (only 50 years ago, not a hundred) it was called Mongoloidism (slanty eyes).

My brother is ******** (I'm old fashioned I guess, and for me there's no stigma attached to being ********), but I cringe when I hear people say things like "You're a ******," or "That's just ********."

Be kind at all times.....you never know when you're saying something like that in front of someone whose brother is ********.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My daughter chose teaching as her way to make a living. She is a physical ed with a side of adaptive PE. She lives in Wisconsin and I am so in awe of what she does. I got to sit in on a session and see her in action working with the kids. I had to go stand in the back to hide my tears. After...I asked her Michelle...how do you do this. She said Mama...you can't imagine the thrill of each task these kids master. I learn a LOT from my kids.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown View Post
My daughter chose teaching as her way to make a living. She is a physical ed with a side of adaptive PE. She lives in Wisconsin and I am so in awe of what she does. I got to sit in on a session and see her in action working with the kids. I had to go stand in the back to hide my tears. After...I asked her Michelle...how do you do this. She said Mama...you can't imagine the thrill of each task these kids master. I learn a LOT from my kids.
I'm a teacher working in a school for pupils with special educational needs, and I agree 100% with your daughter. I have a number of pupils with downs syndrome in my tutor group at the moment, and some who are quite far onto the autistic spectrum, and a prada willi pupil (who is my most challenging, and also the one who can bring me the most joy). My pupils teach me so, so much. I am privileged to spend time with them. Often people think working in my school must be depressing, but it really is a very joyful place. I tell my head that our school runs on love and that while this is true it will always be more than a sum of its parts. Sure, it can be challenging at times, but then, so can working with any bunch of teenagers. Or grown ups in an office to be honest. And let's not even get onto what the people working in catering or retail have to deal with ..... nope, I reckon I struck gold.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Back to the term alcoholic. I am. Straight up - no sugarcoating it. But I'm not ashamed to say it. I'm recovering, working on me every single day, and I'm proud of the work I have been doing. Therefore, I'm proud to say I'm an alcoholic, because I would be doing none of these things if I weren't.

I'm glad you are 11 days sober, Melbournehelp. Keep doing what works.

My name is Bobbie and I'm an alcoholic.