View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TheBollard

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know you're not ready or willing to embrace the mantle of alcoholic but the whole issue of control here is something I think you need to consider.

I think most of us have toyed with the idea of having a 'night off' from not drinking...my last 'night off' from drinking O fully intended to go back to sobriety the next morning...but I felt so bad I drank some more...and so on and so forth...

That one night gave way to 2 and a half years more drinking, some of the most damaging of my life.

Even if you're not convinced you're an alcoholic I thinking aiming to stay sober at your leaving do would be the sensible choice.

Allowing yourself nights off is just a way of digging a deeper hole you'll have climb out of later.

It could very well be cone of those cross road moments that you look back on and think I wish I hadn't that/I'm really glad I didn't do that..

It may be choosing the right way on those kinds of decisions may stop you from becoming 'as bad as' some of the other stories you read here.

D
Yep. Totally agree.

I actually regret having planned the whole thing, as I actually don't want to drink! I never liked getting drunk anyway (it has always been a relaxation thing for me - I am pretty good at being able to stop if I feel too far gone), so at the very least I can hopefully exercise some restraint. I am tempted to pull the old "JD and Coke" trick.

The problem is that I am in the military, and drinking tends to get taken to a completely different level when compared to drinking with "civvies." I feel like I'll inevitably have to have a couple just to appease the crowd! But I also feel like I can handle that. The danger is getting carried away, which is inevitably what everyone else will do.

On the other hand, my real problem relates to drinking when I'm at home by myself. I think I do it out of boredom. So part of me thinks why should I worry about drinking socially, but then another part if me wonders if that's just a nasty little voice in my head calling me back to old habits!

Bloody confusing! 😂