Notices

One week sober... Observations...

Old 04-09-2017, 01:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week sober... Observations...

First of all, I should probably say I don't consider myself to be a full-blown alcoholic. I have, however, developed some extremely bad habits (especially since I moved in to my own place a few years ago) that I think have pushed me to be close to overstepping the line between habit and addiction. I joined this forum as a means of helping me to nip this drinking thing in the bud, and so far it seems to be working. So thanks to everyone for that!

The first day or so after stopping I didn't feel much different during the day. Had some mild anxiety at night (something I have always had and part of why I became a habitual drinker in the first place) but over the course of the week it has progressively eased off. It's not totally gone but it's getting there.

On day three I caught myself grinning to myself like a lunatic on the train in to work. I felt sharp and a sense of crystal clarity that I don't recall having felt in a long time. My mood - especially in the morning - was definitely elevated.

Day 5 was a bit of a struggle, mostly because I work in a very nice bit of London and the sun was out and ever since I was a teenager this has made me want a nice, cold, frosty one. I actually went and sat in the pub garden... With a diet Coke. As soon as I had the drink in front of me I no longer wanted a beer. It was on the evening of day 5 however, that I realised I was beginning to feel somewhat tired. I suspect this is the result of reduced sugar intake. I went to bed at 2130.

Day 6 (yesterday) was the start of the weekend... I was in the gym by 0800. Then at the shops by 1030. Normally I'd probably just be procrastinating on the sofa. In the afternoon I did some cleaning and caught myself dancing around my flat. I normally only do that when I've had a few JD and Cokes!

This morning was interesting. I had the best night's sleep I've had in a long time, but I woke up feeling hung over - Anyone else experienced this? It went away as soon as I got up and now I'm about to go and wash the car... The beautiful weather we're having here at the moment is no doubt contributing, but at the moment I have to say I feel a little bit more awesome every day.

On Thursday this week I have my leaving do with work. I suspect I will almost certainly end up falling off the wagon that night to some extent, but my hope is that this last week will have taught me enough that I will only be off it for one night. 👀👀👀
Old 04-09-2017, 02:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi TheBollard,

Well done on your sober days. How fantastic that you are able to bring to your awareness the improvements in your mood, your energy and your clarity of mind.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

On Thursday this week I have my leaving do with work. I suspect I will almost certainly end up falling off the wagon that night to some extent, but my hope is that this last week will have taught me enough that I will only be off it for one night. ������
I know you're not ready or willing to embrace the mantle of alcoholic but the whole issue of control here is something I think you need to consider.

I think most of us have toyed with the idea of having a 'night off' from not drinking...my last 'night off' from drinking O fully intended to go back to sobriety the next morning...but I felt so bad I drank some more...and so on and so forth...

That one night gave way to 2 and a half years more drinking, some of the most damaging of my life.

Even if you're not convinced you're an alcoholic I thinking aiming to stay sober at your leaving do would be the sensible choice.

Allowing yourself nights off is just a way of digging a deeper hole you'll have climb out of later.

It could very well be cone of those cross road moments that you look back on and think I wish I hadn't that/I'm really glad I didn't do that..

It may be choosing the right way on those kinds of decisions may stop you from becoming 'as bad as' some of the other stories you read here.

D
Old 04-09-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know you're not ready or willing to embrace the mantle of alcoholic but the whole issue of control here is something I think you need to consider.

I think most of us have toyed with the idea of having a 'night off' from not drinking...my last 'night off' from drinking O fully intended to go back to sobriety the next morning...but I felt so bad I drank some more...and so on and so forth...

That one night gave way to 2 and a half years more drinking, some of the most damaging of my life.

Even if you're not convinced you're an alcoholic I thinking aiming to stay sober at your leaving do would be the sensible choice.

Allowing yourself nights off is just a way of digging a deeper hole you'll have climb out of later.

It could very well be cone of those cross road moments that you look back on and think I wish I hadn't that/I'm really glad I didn't do that..

It may be choosing the right way on those kinds of decisions may stop you from becoming 'as bad as' some of the other stories you read here.

D
Yep. Totally agree.

I actually regret having planned the whole thing, as I actually don't want to drink! I never liked getting drunk anyway (it has always been a relaxation thing for me - I am pretty good at being able to stop if I feel too far gone), so at the very least I can hopefully exercise some restraint. I am tempted to pull the old "JD and Coke" trick.

The problem is that I am in the military, and drinking tends to get taken to a completely different level when compared to drinking with "civvies." I feel like I'll inevitably have to have a couple just to appease the crowd! But I also feel like I can handle that. The danger is getting carried away, which is inevitably what everyone else will do.

On the other hand, my real problem relates to drinking when I'm at home by myself. I think I do it out of boredom. So part of me thinks why should I worry about drinking socially, but then another part if me wonders if that's just a nasty little voice in my head calling me back to old habits!

Bloody confusing! 😂
Old 04-09-2017, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

What if you didn't appease the crowd? whats the worst that could happen if you're leaving anyway?

I spent years not wanting to be unpopular and drinking when I knew how much that simple decision would cost me in health wealth and self respect.

Now I really don't give a damn who knows I'm a non drinker, or what they think about that.

It's kinda a liberating place to be.
I always wanted to be this kind of man

D
Old 04-09-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most of us didn't believe we were full blown alcoholics.

Heck, over three years sober I still don't.

But regardless what I called it, alcohol was a detriment to my life and getting worse as years and decades passed.

I'm nothing but grateful I am free of it.

Congrats on your week sober.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you notice those immediate positive changes. Mornings are so different for me (I'm only on day 23). Before I'd rush to find an outfit, use Visine and have some dread going to work. I'd stop for coffee, energy drinks and grab a buttered roll or something unhealthy. Now my clothes are ironed and I'm ready for the day. Have a healthy breakfast and also take lunch which I packed the night before. Coffee even tastes better!
Old 04-09-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm a week sober now too. I didn't want to think of myself an alcoholic but I was. It took my wife telling me to move out, then apologizing to the kids (teenagers) after being such and ass. Daughter (a tough 16) asked "are you an alcoholic?" and I had to admit to it. I feel like I've lost alot of respect from my kids that I have to earn back. Not going to happen overnight.

With respect to appeasing the crowd....I thought that too at one point. 5 years ago i stopped drinking, cold turkey. Lasted 3 years. It was right before the holidays. Thought i'd need some cute excuse to say why I wasn't drinking. I'd say "I love my brown liquor, but it stopped lovin me back". But it felt awkward. After a while it just didn't come up. I walked around with my Tonic and lime and nobody the wiser. Bottle of water instead of a beer.

These first 7 days been a bee-ach. I'm struggling in my business and finances tight so it's easy to go for my 99c Schnapps. But I can't.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Bollard! How you doing on Day 8?

I didn't sleep well. Had some freaky dreams, woke up at 4:00am and couldn't go back to sleep.

jk