View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 01:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TheBollard

One week sober... Observations...

First of all, I should probably say I don't consider myself to be a full-blown alcoholic. I have, however, developed some extremely bad habits (especially since I moved in to my own place a few years ago) that I think have pushed me to be close to overstepping the line between habit and addiction. I joined this forum as a means of helping me to nip this drinking thing in the bud, and so far it seems to be working. So thanks to everyone for that!

The first day or so after stopping I didn't feel much different during the day. Had some mild anxiety at night (something I have always had and part of why I became a habitual drinker in the first place) but over the course of the week it has progressively eased off. It's not totally gone but it's getting there.

On day three I caught myself grinning to myself like a lunatic on the train in to work. I felt sharp and a sense of crystal clarity that I don't recall having felt in a long time. My mood - especially in the morning - was definitely elevated.

Day 5 was a bit of a struggle, mostly because I work in a very nice bit of London and the sun was out and ever since I was a teenager this has made me want a nice, cold, frosty one. I actually went and sat in the pub garden... With a diet Coke. As soon as I had the drink in front of me I no longer wanted a beer. It was on the evening of day 5 however, that I realised I was beginning to feel somewhat tired. I suspect this is the result of reduced sugar intake. I went to bed at 2130.

Day 6 (yesterday) was the start of the weekend... I was in the gym by 0800. Then at the shops by 1030. Normally I'd probably just be procrastinating on the sofa. In the afternoon I did some cleaning and caught myself dancing around my flat. I normally only do that when I've had a few JD and Cokes!

This morning was interesting. I had the best night's sleep I've had in a long time, but I woke up feeling hung over - Anyone else experienced this? It went away as soon as I got up and now I'm about to go and wash the car... The beautiful weather we're having here at the moment is no doubt contributing, but at the moment I have to say I feel a little bit more awesome every day.

On Thursday this week I have my leaving do with work. I suspect I will almost certainly end up falling off the wagon that night to some extent, but my hope is that this last week will have taught me enough that I will only be off it for one night. 👀👀👀