View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
SomeSortOfHuman

Hello!

Thought I'd pop over from the September class to say Hi. I'm just over 7 months sober. I just went back to my first ever post on this site, as I thought it might be a good way to introduce myself to people on this thread. Reading it really brought back how difficult those first weeks were - not that it's at all easy now, but it is better.

This is what I wrote back then -

First post, but have been ‘lurking’ on these forums for a while and finding them useful. I’ve done “Dry January” a few times and used the fact that I could get through one month each year to convince myself that I did not have a problem - but I was always counting down the days and by half way through Feb I’d be back in the cycle of drinking every day. It has really spiralled this year - easily hitting 60 units per week.

I didn’t really drink to excess as a student, but as I started to work very long hours in my mid-20s, I gradually used alcohol to mark the division between work and relaxation time - it became part of my routine. Then as a few bouts of depression hit, I began to use it more to ‘self-medicate’ - I still feel very low, but I care less with a bottle of wine inside me. I prefer to drink alone, but whenever I’m going to a social event I will try to find a way for it to involve alcohol. Cinema trip? Let’s take a couple of cans of G&T in. Picnic? Can’t do that without a nice chilled rose! Long train journey? Better get a bottle… I’ve found myself planning alcohol - looking forward to what I’m going to drink at the event more than the event itself.

I work from home, so this has really allowed things to get out of control and over the summer, I’ve found myself starting earlier and earlier. I hide booze from my husband. He thinks I’m polishing off a few glasses of wine, but is unaware that every time I go upstairs I’m also swigging from a can of G&T hidden in my wardrobe.

I’m now on Day 6 sober and I’m hating it. I had to go to a wedding during this time and I felt on the verge of tears without a drink. I didn’t know many people there and found it so painful trying to talk to them. Then the next morning - despite zero alcohol - I woke up with the worst hangover-style headache. I’m exhausted and irritable all the time and cannot concentrate on work. Last night, I just gave up and went to bed at 8pm because I didn't want to be conscious any longer.

Sorry to be such a pity-fest. I know that I have to do this and I know that on paper I should have a great life. I’m just finding it very hard and I’m furious with myself because I feel like I have inflicted this all on myself. I would really like to be able to get to the point where I can have just one or two drinks once or twice a week - but I’m starting to think I might be someone who cannot do that.

Glad to have found this forum and sorry for such a long post. Hope you’re all having a good day today. I find the idea of “one day at a time” very helpful, as I can’t really handle thinking beyond that!

I'm still incredibly grateful for these forums. Reading other people's stories over the past few months has been so helpful. The constant gnawing craving has gone away - although I'm still taken by surprise by powerfully wanting a drink every now and then. I still associate so many things with alcohol - e.g. as the sun finally comes out in the UK, my thoughts naturally turn to picnics in the park with Pimms or a glass of rose outside. These things are so much part of my routine - I guess I just need to make new routines for myself.

My initial plan had been to do a year sober and then decide what to do. More than half way through that year, I can see the benefits that sobriety has brought to my life and I'm now thinking that I should commit to at least another year - particularly because my husband and I would like to start a family.

I think there's a good chance that it will never be OK for me to drink again - that I would not be able to moderate and that the process of finding that out could be fairly catastrophic. But at the moment, I still find it easier to look at things one day at a time / one year at a time - I find the idea of "forever" too overwhelming.

So - that's where I am at the moment. Hope you're all doing well. Hello to the guys from my lovely September class and it's good to meet everyone else!

x