Old 03-29-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks for the new thread Dee!
Old 03-29-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Thanks for the new thread Dee.

Helen, I remember the first sober vacation I had. I expected it to be really hard as holidays were a time for total over indulgence for me, but apart from a few urges I actually wasn't too bad. I had prepared beforehand and was here everyday, and I did treat myself to a few virgin cocktails. Strangely, it was after I returned home and I relaxed that AV had a real go at me. Fortunately I didn't listen!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Helen, congrats on staying sober during your vacation. With only 48 days under my belt I am not sure I would have been able to do it. My wife just mentioned taking a road trip to New Orleans this morning. I told here I didn't trust myself to be able to go and not drink. Fortunately she understood. Maybe in a few more months!
Old 03-30-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living the life

Still hanging in there. I told my niece I'm really glad I'm not drinking because if I were I'd be trying to keep up with her. She's pulling all nighters - I definitely don't need to throw my hat in that ring! Lol
Old 03-31-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

My first sober vacation was to a beach house that we rented for a week each summer. Tons of drinking occurred there, even by the normies. I found it extremely challenging that week ( I was around ten weeks sober) and did a lot of walking just to be out of the house. I can honestly say that I really didn't enjoy that vacation fully. However, going back last year, I had no problem and had a great time.

Congrats to you Helen for staying the course. I had always envisioned a Mexican vacation or a cruise as an almost perfect vacation, sun and rum all day. I now have little desire for such destinations except to be warm in the winter! Don't get too burned!
Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think I would feel comfortable going on a vacation like that around other people drinking. Maybe next year.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living the life

Hi folks. Heading into my fifth evening of vacation and still sober. The longer I am here the stronger I feel in my sobriety. It is just a matter of learning new habits about what to order. My soda with lime is a refreshing substitute for wine with dinner. The funny thing is I had several folk tell me before I left home "Oh you HAVE to drink on vacation - that's allowed". I even told Mr. Troy that I may end up drinking but that if I do I will be really disappointed in myself. But the fact is I see no gain in drinking. I really don't think I would have more fun or anything. I'm sure I wouldn't be having coherent conversations with new friends as I have been. And to be honest i don't want to have to go through quitting all over again - and for what?! So it's all good. I am spoiling myself with two appetizers and having dessert every dinner lol. I also know I can check in here if I suddenly contemplate a change of heart.

Have a good one everyone.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Stay strong Helen, it's obvious you want to. Trouble is AV listens to those people, and tries to wheedle you into agreeing! The hardest for me was that it was my 50th birthday just before my first year ( like 2 weeks to my soberversary ) and I so wanted to celebrate my milestone with champagne! Plus we stayed the weekend at the Waldorf and were given vouchers for free cocktails and the only sober ones were so unimaginative I ended up giving my voucher to hubby and sulking ( yes I did have an internal mini tantrum that life wouldn't go just how I liked for 48 hours!) but fundamentally I knew I couldn't afford to undo the good I had done in getting sober. I didn't know if I would or could start over if I drank. That is still my biggest fear and why I lurk around SR like a bad smell!!
Old 04-01-2017, 12:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bravo Helen for staying sober, you are an inspiration to me

Have a good weekend!
Old 04-01-2017, 12:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

have a peaceful vac 1000
Old 04-01-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job Helen!! I hope you are having a great vacation. I am camping and most peope are drinking. It doesn't bother me to much. I don't miss those hangovers. It is too hard to quit and I have come to far. I brought along my tea too!!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

oh I hear you ! Summer will be upon me and here comes the people that like
to party at the lake. As we are getting older it doesn't seem to slow them down but, I did it last year and plan on doing it again this year. in fact tonight two of the gals are retiring and having a joint retirement party and it's a small town so, you can imagine the crowd that will be there. I will be fine. I just don't enjoy those party's or gatherings anymore. but, I'm sure it will be a good time just the same.
Babs
Old 04-01-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Babs - I hope you have a good time too. Sometimes all that conversation can be exhausting. I have been meeting and talking to a lot of people.

The couples are carrying around white wine and all the men are drinking beer. I am just enjoying all of my snacks! lol
Old 04-01-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living the life

Thanks everyone!

Midwest I went camping a week into my sobriety and it was definitely a challenge. This trip is much easier.

Babs yes summertime is party time, right? I'm hoping to take my newly learned skills from this vacation to my own backyard pool this summer. I have been worried a little about it but after staying sober here I know I can do it at home.

Saw one guy get wheeled out of the pool bar in a wheelchair yesterday so drunk he couldn't hold his head up. Another young guy barely 18 if that being carried around by his friends and had thrown up all over one of the nice seating areas. I have zero desire to drink. Although I did put in an 8 hour shift at the beach today and even though I tried to stay in the shade I am a lovely shade of pink lol

Have a good one everyone.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Helen- I hope the sunburn stays pink and don't develop anymore!
Old 04-01-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on staying sober on vacation Helen and Midwest!
Old 04-01-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Helen- I noticed I have sunburned arms from today. Just a little bit from where I wore a shorter sleeved top. lol
Old 04-01-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Living the life

Midwest my burns usually turn into tans but I must have missed the tops of my feet when I sprayed lotion on because they are really red. Good thing I only have one more full day lol
Old 04-02-2017, 02:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I hate when I miss my feet, especially when I get home and resume wearing shoes once again!

The trials and tribulations of vacation!