View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sasha1972

Thanks for JADE - very useful today!

I think I found this site at exactly the moment I needed it. My alcoholic ex-husband has been ramping up the verbally abusive, borderline delusional communication over the last week. Emails thousands of words long, rehearsing every wrong that has ever been done to him (including things that never happened) and accusing me of every bad thing imaginable (including complicity in the genocide of native Americans, which I somehow managed to orchestrate). He insist now that he is not an alcoholic and that he was "forced to accept that label under emotional duress". He uses alcohol to manage his "unresolved issues of trauma" but he has never been addicted. Anyone who thinks he has a problem is just trying to "shame" and "stigmatize" him. Three unsuccessful rehab stints, thousands of dollars of liquor-store receipts, several police calls, a house full of empty bottle stashes, two failed marriages, thirty years of heavy drinking, and alcohol-induced cardiomyopathy suggest otherwise.

My first response is to fire back an email pointing out every untruthful statement he made and setting the record straight. Then I saw a post here about not Justifying, Arguing, Defending or Explaining, and I thought - that's right. I don't actually need to respond to any of this. There is no possible good outcome that can result from me getting into his thinking with him. The most I will send back is a note saying that if he wants to mediate an issue involving our child, I am willing to meet with him and a mediator. Beyond that - there's no point.