View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
vandelay187

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
You really wouldn't want to travel if you couldn't drink just so you didn't have to sit in an airport for 2 hours without a beer? Really? You just wouldn't go?
I was just trying to make a point. generally people define being stuck waiting in an airport to be a bad experience. with a few beers and the right music playing it's a great one. It's the difference between gritting my teeth sitting angrily in the seat waiting saying never again (flying) or at the bar with a smile maybe even volunteering for a later flight to get some kind of reward.

I will note that i don't get sloppy at the airport... or have any desire to. So that's generally a 3 drink situation. So maybe there's something to that. Maybe there's something to that 4+ drink threshold.

I'd be angry at the airport not because i'd rather be home drinking but because i'm stuck someplace i don't want to be and my time is being wasted. My time off time. That's the most valuable time i have. And i'm sitting there, friggin waiting. counting each agonizing second. around all these friggin people. Was it my miscalculation that caused this delay and caused me to be so deeply immersed in this fresh hell? should i have picked another airline? should i have driven instead? or am i just this time the victim of being on someone else's transit medium. (remember after enduring all of this i still have to board the plane and continue waiting!)

I don't think the alcohol is so powerful in this case, but i'm using it to trick myself into thinking, my vacation has started, and i can enjoy even this delay. (think aspergers) I don't think the above mini rant would be any different if it was 5 years sober approaching the same situation. I'd still hate it with the fury of 1000 suns. or i'd relax, have a beer, and again trick myself into thinking, 'my vacation has started'.