View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

Originally Posted by vandelay187 View Post
I think this is all outstanding discussion. I'm trying to be as candid and open as possible, at the risk of borderline uncomfortably putting myself out there... in the hope that this thread speaks in some helpful way to others that read it. so i hope that's a success.

I definitely admit i'm an alcoholic. so my point with my other friend was that if i've admitted this why can't he? He's either being dishonest with me or dishonest with himself. But i digress..

What does alcohol add to MY life?? Excellent question. it fuels my passion for travel, exploration, and adventure. Whether it's flying somewhere or driving somewhere i can have my drinks in the airport listening to music or staring at the crappy 4 walls of any hotel i stop at driving cross country. I do the x-country amtrak runs as well in a nice cozy roomette and once again - i have my beers, my laptop, and great movies/tv and i could be anywhere. Remove that... why bother going...?

Who likes waiting around at an airport? That is deemed a pretty crappy experience overall. I've often claimed i'm the perfect amount of 'alcoholic'. I can be in the dreaded airport and completely content with a 2-3 hour delay.

As far as my friends go we all have pretty solid relationships. it's occurred to me that since high school we've all remained very tight probably due to the alcohol. It's been the norm to get sloppy silly drunk when we hang out so it's only become an issue with the one friend who did admit i got annoying but only after i really sought that info. the others we all still drink at the same pace. Pretty tight, open, and honest with family too. if they had an issue with it they'd say so and they seem content since my perfect week progress. That said i don't drink much on the thanksgivings, etc... so they don't see my normal weekend routine.

Now I am even more confused about your motivations.
This strikes me as just sad. I remember thinking in a very similar way , for far too long.
Either your life revolves around drinking , or your drinking revolves around your life , either way you term it , it is really just spinning at a standstill. The only possible trajectory is a tightening inward/downward spiral.
Jettison the booze , start on a different path , one that has a chance to actually go somewhere. Or not , your choice, I'm going to bow out of this conversation too, I think I miss understood the intent, I now realize I have no idea what you are trying to say or show.