View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

When drinking I liked to ??

For the last few years: Isolate

I lived with my parents in their house and could go for days without seeing them. Often they would go out of town for a few days and I would get excited that I would have the house to myself. The funny thing (sad more than funny) is that when they would leave my routine wouldn't change. When I got up I would get a cup of coffee (or a Coke) and go outside to smoke a cigarette. When I finished the coffee/coke I would crack open my first beer and drink until I went to sleep (or passed out). Most of my time was spent in front of the computer playing online poker or collecting and watching TV shows/movies. Ironically I got good enough at poker that it ended up funding my drinking for the most part (not saying much as I drank cheap 5.9% ice beer).

I did that for pretty much 3 years straight until I started having this debate in my head every day during my morning smoke whether I should go back in and crack that first beer open or just end things. I had reached that point mentioned in the Big Book where I couldn't imagine living with or without alcohol. Luckily I had a lucid moment one day and called a treatment center. Two weeks later I had my first appointment with them and it was also the last day I took a drink (had 3 beers on the way to the appointment). That was in April of 2013.