View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
paulokes

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
I think your attitude is great.

Too often the program interprets "willingness" as compliance with what sponsors advise on job, money, family, etc. Personally, I think it can be destructive for untrained people to direct others how to manage money, career, family, etc., so while there is a lot of great things about the program, I cannot ever go back to it again.
Miami really important point....and a 'people' issue in AA rather than a program one.

The 12 Step Programme of AA absolutely does not promote sponsors controlling the practical elements of their sponsees lives, or sponsees asking their sponsors to do so, or accepting that.

There are some (very poorly IMO) individuals in AA that try to manipulate or control others and dress it up as AA. There are some equally poorly people who want to delegate responsibility for their lives to someone else. That powerlessness and dependence you speak of is not what AA literature intends...it's just a common misconception.

Both these type of people probably need to go to Al Anon or Coda - they are double winners!

I know of your experience with AA and respect you, not trying to convince you of anything. But again what people misconstrue is the AA fellowship is not a 'Program'. Instead there is a 12 Step Recovery Program available in AA which some do not need to or have the courage to fully take on board.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments, as ever

P