View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
miamifella

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Yet in my AA work with alcoholics, I stick to the program of recovery only. I would never presume to direct anyone in what they should do career wise, or relationship wise, or anything else other that the 12 steps, and the AA 24 hour plan, which suggests we all turn to our higher power for guidance on such matters. I might suggest trained professionals to advise on such issues.

AA has never been a direct help to my career. That is not it's purpose. AA got me sober and showed me how to live successfully in this world. My career advancement was due to my new found ability to get on in life because I was sober, not because I was able to get career guidance in AA.
I think your attitude is great.

Too often the program interprets "willingness" as compliance with what sponsors advise on job, money, family, etc. Personally, I think it can be destructive for untrained people to direct others how to manage money, career, family, etc., so while there is a lot of great things about the program, I cannot ever go back to it again.

But I still find great wisdom in the literature and the way most people on SR interpret 12-step recovery. It is just the real-world application that is problematic.