Old 03-17-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Ladybird579

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Attagirl.

And here's something else to consider. I remember when I first separated, feeling utterly helpless. I don't have a ton of close friends, and I kept thinking, what if the car breaks down, what if this or that happens, who would I CALL?

Well, yeah, those things did eventually happen, and guess what? I managed to navigate them. Some more gracefully than others. But the point is, every time I did manage, I felt more confidence in my ability to handle whatever came up. I was stranded in Chicago due to weather in my home state recently, and my cats were alone for the maximum time I feel I can leave them. I called up a carpenter friend and he went over and accessed the house using a key I leave in a lockbox, and he made sure their food was good and emptied the (by then totally disgusting) litter box. It worked out. And if he couldn't have done it, I would have called other neighbors/friends to help out (or even the vet, as a last resort). When you GOTTA do something, you figure it out.
I am in a similar position. Initially I moved here on my own but the boys came to live with me 8 months later and as one is disabled I've had to curtail what I did as a singleton here to an extent. I was a single parent anyway as exah was as much use as chocolate fireguard and while I was away last year he had my boys doing jobs for him. Ds put up a shed for him!

What I miss is my daughters. I could count on them in any emergency ( even tho 3 don't speak to me they will step up for the boys) but they have busy lives now ( final year at uni and one has a very young baby) and last year when one of my boys had to go in hospital as an emergency my daughter, who lived here then, came and looked after the autistic one. She's doing an MA now tho miles away. Some sort of back up is crucial to the success of my future plans.

My boyfriend is back next week but I feel I can be more positive now thanks to the suggestions you and others have made. Thank you