Old 03-08-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

There's no such thing as an "AA professional"--maybe it's some ACTUAL professional who works with alcoholics?

Believe me, you didn't cause any of this--the drinking, the abuse. Nobody knows what causes alcoholism, but it isn't stress. Some people seem to be alcoholic almost from their first drink, while others work up to it. But either way, it's not a result of a stressful environment.

I lived with my second husband for only about 10 months before we separated, and I divorced him the next year. He'd gone back to drinking after a BRIEF period of sobriety (following an incident where he almost died when his liver/kidneys shut down due to drinking). I'd been married to an alcoholic before, and knew enough about it to know I didn't want to go there again. There is no shame in admitting that things did not work out as you'd hoped. None. And how much better than to waste five or more years of your life dealing with fear and misery.

After you've gotten some guidance on safety issues, I strongly suggest you consult a lawyer. You need to know how to protect yourself legally/financially until you decided what you want to do. I wouldn't give up that great job if you can possibly help it. I don't know whose name is on the lease/deed of your home, but depending on where you live, you might be eligible for a protective order that would allow you to remain in the home while he has to go elsewhere. It would also prohibit him from having any contact with you. Just an option to keep in mind as you are thinking about what you want to do.

I'm glad you have an aunt nearby.

Try not to worry about what his family thinks. You're right--he may throw you right under the bus and claim you're crazy, there's nothing wrong with him. If he does, that tells you a whole lot about the prospects for a future with him right there.