Old 03-07-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome.

I've worked in the field of domestic violence professionally for a very long time, and abuse and alcoholism are two SEPARATE issues. Even if the abuse becomes worse when someone is drinking, abuse generally comes from a sense of entitlement--that he has the right to control you and what you do. I seriously doubt you are going to achieve your admirable goals for your life as long as you are married to this man.

Interventions are exactly as the others described--conducted by professionals, and not AA members (who are willing to talk with someone who is willing to listen, but won't force any issues).

I'd put any thoughts of this imminent intervention on hold for now, and make your first call to your local women's shelter or to the National Domestic Violence Hotline to talk with an advocate. The advocate won't try to force you to do anything you're not ready to do, but she can help you assess the level of danger you might be in, help you work up a safety plan, and discuss your options to escape the violence.

Even if he's "only" been verbally abusive to this point, verbal abuse often escalates to physical abuse.

Please take care of your own safety first.