View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Andante

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal View Post
It's not that I want to be the exceptional human who manages to never do any harm to anyone or never step on a bug. It's not that I want to stand out or want to be admired or seen as something better. I honestly feel like utter **** when I think about all the people suffering because of my decisions (like buying a tshirt, think of all the poor people that worked for that and are treated like **** in countries like Bangladesh). I wish I could live somehow without ever effecting any other life form in a bad way. But in all honesty my motivation behind that is not admiration or anything like that. I just don't want anyone to suffer because of me.

And I don't expect myself to be able to solve the world hunger problem and I don't fantasise about being honoured for that. But I feel it's unfair that I can eat all this food just because I was born in a wealthy country and others can't.

And what makes me think anyone is worrying about me? Well the people who tell me they don't think I do what I should be doing. Mostly my parents and other family members. If they say "it makes me so sad to see you do ________ when you could be doing _______" "it upsets me to see you waste your talent, potential etc" I don't have any desire to do most of the things but it breaks my heart to see them being unhappy because of me living my life the "wrong" way. I wouldnt exist without my parents and I feel like I owe them my life. It's what I'm working on now, to learn that I actually can decide about my life and that I'm not just existing to please them and make them happy. It still seems strange and unnatural to me. My therapist said I have a problem with humility but in the opposite way. It's the cause of many of my issues not the solution. She thinks I care too much about others and not enough about myself and that I gave myself up when I was very little.
Hi kevlarsjal, sounds like you're a very sensitive and compassionate person, and those are good qualities to have.

What about making an effort to using those qualities in a constructive way as opposed to self-denigration? For example, you could volunteer at a soup kitchen for the homeless, or for a movement to protect workers' rights in developing countries.

I've found that action is often the cure for thinking too obsessively about my own inadequacies and unworthiness.

And yes, it can help establish and build the independence from your parents that you need in order to become a fully functioning adult human being in your own right, which you totally deserve.