View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sobersolstice

I've been skiing since I was a kid, and drinking was the only thing I saw my father do while skiing, so naturally that was handed down to me.

In college, as a racer, beers were at the finish line at every event. We drank. Down the road as a ski bum, I lived out of my truck and found solace in seeing normal people crack tallboys in the parking lot at 8am. Apres was sometimes what I looked forward to in my skiing, even if I were drinking all day.

I'm still drinking, but took a couple months off, and tried skiing a few times sober. It felt weird and boring... and this was with a drinking friend that didn't drink because he knew I was on the wagon.

I went skiing with a ex-gf that just picked up skiing, and she had a flask on her. I shared the flask with her on a beautiful sunny day, and a month later I'm laying in bed hungover on a Monday, wasting the day.

I won't tell you what you should or shouldn't do, but I've always associated skiing with drinking. It's still amazing flying down a mountain, but I don't know a single skier that doesn't drink. I'm sure they're out there... I only know one person that doesn't drink who is a skier. He's a bartender that I used to buy drinks from and asked how he quit. He told me he almost died detoxing, and being behind the bar reminds him of how he used to be, and keeps him from drinking.

I've been relapsing for years, and skiing is by far the most difficult part of sobriety for me. I can go to parties, bars, etc., no problem, but skiing feels like 'my party'. I don't know. If it's not my party that day and I get hurt (I ski like a nutcase), I drink to numb the pain. I tore ligaments in my left knee recently and drink because of the boredom of not being able to work. Skiing for me is the most dangerous part of my sobriety.